With the change in lifestyle, environmental factors, stress and pollution hair fall has become a common problem for both men and women. There are various causes which can lead to hair fall and hair loss in individuals. Before starting any treatment or home remedies it is very crucial to know the root cause behind the condition. If the pathology is known it becomes easier for the doctor or the individual to take necessary precautions and follow a treatment which would benefit them.
Just topical treatments and intake of drugs without the treatment of underlying conditions will not benefit the person who is experiencing hair loss.
An individual normally loses 50-100 hair per day and the new hair replaces the old ones. But that doesn’t happen every time. If there’s some pathology present it would lead to more hair loss than hair growth which would result in temporary or permanent hair loss depending on the severity of the condition.
What are the phases of hair growth cycle?
There are three distinctive phases of hair growth cycle-
- The Anagen Phase– this phase is the period of hair growth.
- The Catagen Phase-this is a transitional phase in which the hair stops growing and detaches itself from the blood supply.
- The Telogen phase– this is the resting period where club hairs are resting in the roots and new hair benign to grow beneath it.
What are the causes of hair fall/ hair loss?
There are various conditions which can lead to hair fall such as-
- Hereditary causes.
- Hormonal factors– as seen in pregnancy, childbirth, menopause etc.
- Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders, alopecia areata, ringworm infection.
- Drugs – such as antipsychotics, antidepressants, anti-hypertensives, chemotherapy.
- Environmental factors such as pollution, humidity.
- Heat stress – as seen while blow drying, crimping, curling, straightening.
- Chemical treatments– going for different types of hair color treatments such as ombre, global etc.
- Lichen planus and lupus causes scarring which leads to permanent hair loss.
- Physical or emotional shock/stress due to death in family, extreme weight loss or high grade fever can also lead to excessive hair fall.
- Nutritional deficiency such as proteins, iron, vitamins and minerals can lead to thinning of hair.
How will your doctor diagnose the cause?
Your doctor will take a complete personal, medical and family history in order to reach a probable cause. If any autoimmune disease or infection is suspected, a small biopsy from the affected area will be taken in order to send it for microscopic examination for making the final diagnosis.
It is very important to give the correct history to your doctor so that they can reach the diagnosis fast and proper treatments can be given to the patient.
What treatment is given for hair loss?
Your doctor will prescribe the treatment according to the cause and severity of hair loss.
Minoxidil is given for the patients suffering from alopecia but it has certain side effects such as itching and dryness of the scalp.
In cases of infections, drugs will be given to the targeted organism responsible for it.
If you are experiencing hair loss due to certain medications their dosage might be altered in order to prevent hair loss.
Another method for treating hair loss is derma-rolling the affected area and PRP application. Platelet rich plasma or PRP have growth factors which promote new hair growth in individuals.
Hair transplant surgery is given to patients with permanent hair loss and people who are not benefited by any oral or topical treatments.
Scalp reduction is also a form of surgical therapy in which an area of the scalp without hair is removed by the doctor.
These surgical procedures carry certain risks with them such as- bleeding, scarring, infection or patchy hair growth.
Are there any oils for hair growth?
Yes! There are various essential and carrier oils which are nutritional powerhouses which help in hair growth and make them less prone to breakage.
Essential oils those are great for hair growth–
- Rosemary Oil
- Lavender oil
- Peppermint oil.
- Lemongrass oil.
These oils should be taken only 3-4 drops per session otherwise they can cause adverse effects. People having any medical condition, allergy and pregnant/lactating women must consult their doctors before trying out any type of essential oil.
Carrier oils for soft, lustrous and long hair-
- Argan oil
- Avocado oil
- Castor oil
- Coconut oil
- Almond oil
- Olive oil.
These carrier oils make an excellent agent for diluting the essential oils. They serve as a great base for them and result in the growth of stronger and healthier hair.
How can you prevent hair loss?
It is always said that prevention is better than cure. It’s better to start some daily routine habits regularly so that you don’t suffer hair loss later in your life. These tips work only if you don’t have any other medical condition which is leading to your current hair loss.
- Use mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Limit the use of hot tools for your hair.
- Give deep oil treatments regularly every week to your hair.
- Avoid washing your hair in warm/ hard water.
- Use wooden comb preferably rosewood comb for your hair as it absorbs the natural oils from your hair and helps in spreading it to the hair shaft for better moisturisation and management of hair.
- Braid your hair while you sleep. They will help your hair to be manageable the next day. Put a few drops of your favorite oil at the ends before you sleep it will prevent split ends.
- Have a balanced diet. Don’t go for crash dieting.
- Have an appropriate amount of protein, iron and essential vitamins and minerals in your diet.
- Try some meditation and have at least 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night for reducing anxiety and stress hormone levels in the body.
- Limit the coloring treatments for your hair. Go for natural methods instead.
- Always consult your doctor to find out the cause of it. Treatment without diagnosis has no value. Hair loss due to hereditary causes is difficult to treat. Surgical management is done to cover up the areas.
So this was all about the hair loss, its causes, treatment and prevention .
Hope you found it useful.
Take care ❤️
Purchase links (Affiliate links) of some hair care products mentioned in my Summer Hair Care Routine Video- You Can use my coupon code POONAMWOIKE for 10% off.
You might also like-